Don't everyone post at once!
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  13:32:28  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
It's hard to keep up with all of these threads!

So anyway, I really like the idea of staying at version 1.2.3, has a nice ring to it.

A..B..C, it's easy as 1..2..3!

Besides, I think S+ is pretty stable at this point and I may take a break from daily updates (I've run out of things to do, I feel good about everything with it at the moment).

Hope you enjoy!

fug

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  04:15:57  Show Profile
Hey Rob,

I installed the latest and greatest, Win MSI, 64bit. I noticed you removed support for:

acActivateWindowAtGestureStart(sp_gesture_start_x, sp_gesture_start_y)

No biggee, I removed those statements, my gestures still work as expected.

Why does the 64bit version install in the /Program Files (x86) directory?

You need an option to "start with windows" (unless I missed it somewhere...)

Looking good!

fug (the other Rob)
Go to Top of Page

fug

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  04:21:26  Show Profile
one more thing... I noticed that if I have a single window open, and execute my gesture to close program over that window but the window does not have focus, the action gets sent to Windows itself, and I'm presented with the "shut down windows" dialog.

It seems this action:

acActivateWindowAtGestureStart(sp_gesture_start_x, sp_gesture_start_y)

would alleviate that. But as mentioned, when that lua statement is in place, s+ throws an error.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  04:27:55  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
That's because you haven't kept up with the release notes =)

That function was replaced by acActivateWindow(nil,gsx, gsy). Both were included, but redundant since acActivateWindow serves the same purpose, so I dumped the other one to keep things as tight as possible.

Re: the Program Files (x86) thing, I noticed that too..working with the MSI stuff in VS is kind of a pain in the ass and I haven't got back to it. Honestly, I think it's because I copied the setup project and changed the naming for the x64 version, so I think it held on the the directory. I just added acLockWindows() to S+ in the upcoming 1.2.4, so I'll try to fix the directory issue also.

The MSI creates a shortcut in the Startup folder, but sure, a nice checkbox to start with Windows or not would be handy, I'll add that to the list.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  04:31:28  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Yep, the Program Files thing was just a result of copy/paste, so that'll be updated in the next release.
Go to Top of Page

fug

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  05:15:48  Show Profile
Read the docs? You expect users to READ? LOL

Thanks, acActivateWindow(nil, gsx, gsy) works great.

Regarding the automatic entry in startup.... While it works, every time the PC boots, the UAC prompt comes up when s+ starts. I realize one solution is to disable UAC, but I'm betting most users won't do that. I got around it by removing the entry from the startup folder and creating a scheduled task to run at startup. If set to run with highest privileges, no UAC prompt.

I have another project for you... ;-) Make a utility so that when using the mouse scroll wheel, the window or panel under the cursor scrolls. By default, in Windows Explorer, if the right (file panel) has focus and you move the cursor over the folder panel and roll the wheel, the file panel scrolls. Annoying as hell.

I am currently using a utility called wizmouse to handle this, and it does work, and the memory usage isn't too bad, at ~800k. But it periodically craps out and I have to restart it. Dunno why. I'm betting you could come up with something that uses less memory, and would be more reliable.

...just an idea.

fug
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  05:48:03  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Actually, the OTHER solution you missed is to click Yes to the damn UAC prompt, LOL!

I have another app that throws a UAC prompt on startup as well, I guess I hardly ever reboot so it's mostly a non-issue for me. I suppose there may be a way to streamline it, I'll add it to my list and see if I can come up with, but the point of UAC is to make sure the user is aware, so I'm on the fence about going gangbusters on a rather minor thing. I'll kick the idea around, however. =)

Regarding the other project, I'll check it out when I'm bored, see what I can come up with. Really just depends on how involved it is to relay the message to the window, if it's just a matter of setting focus to and sending the scroll events to the handle beneath the mouse cursor, I could easily add an option for that into S+. I'll see what I find.

Rob
Go to Top of Page

fug

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  06:13:13  Show Profile
>>>>>if it's just a matter of setting focus to and sending the scroll events to the handle beneath the mouse cursor, I could easily add an option for that into S+.

Actually, just send the scroll events to whatever is under the cursor... No need to set the focus to it (unless you have to to get it to work...)
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  06:56:00  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Turns out you can't just relay the message, it all depends on how the app is designed and where the message handler(s) are, so it would work for Explorer, but not Chrome, etc.

However, simply sending WM_SETFOCUS on WM_MOUSEWHEEL events seems to work. Try this out and let me know (but test it for a while, maybe let me know in a week or two). I'm going to run with it as well, but not include in an releases until we've had a chance to beat it up. There's no option, it will do this as long as S+ is active. Note that since it basically sends WM_SETFOCUS on any/all WM_MOUSEWHEEL messages, try to test it our in an app where the mouse wheel is used for more than just scrolling. WM_SETFOCUS is only sent if the mouse wheel is scrolled while not in an active gesture, of course.

http://www.strokesplus.com/files/StrokesPlus_1.2.4_MouseWheel_x64.zip

Note that since this is 1.2.4, it also includes:

- Added acLockWindows() (no parameters, equivalent of pressing WIN+L)
- Added Start with Windows option in Preferences (stored in registry under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run)
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  07:07:01  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Bah, it's ridiculously easy to add an option in the XML (non-GUI).

Updated the zip file @ 1:05PM ET, setting is config.settings.MouseWheelFocus, 0 or 1
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  07:12:48  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Doesn't seem to work well in XP in a VM, however. You can see the focus change, but still doesn't scroll the other pane (Explorer).
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  07:28:02  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Actually, Windows Vista and up will not run a program requiring elevated privileges on startup, no matter where you put it. Meaning, a shortcut under startup or in the registry. Windows simply ignores it. The only workaround is the create a service, which StrokesPlus cannot run as (and I'm not rewriting from the ground up!).

As such, the preference to start with Windows has been removed and the startup shortcut removed from MSI packages.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  07:44:54  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
So much for my version 1.2.3!

I decided to release 1.2.4 with the MSI path fixes, added acLockWindows, and the experimental mouse wheel focus option.

So far, the options seems to be working well for me during general usage.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000