Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 General Discussion
 Why doesn't everyone use mouse gestures?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cerberus

Netherlands
86 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  07:35:51  Show Profile  Visit Cerberus's Homepage
Ever since I discovered Strokeit, which was perhaps 8 years ago, I was (mouse-)hooked. It seemed an amazingly intuitive, efficient method of controlling the computer, and it was. I've asked this on the Strokeit forum before, but no-one could really explain it to me in a satisfying manner. Most of my friends just don't seem interested when I show it to them and explain how it saves heaps of time.

Then there computer geeks who think anything that is not about the keyboard is impure and laymanlike. They fail to understand that gestures are only (or mainly) to be used when you're already holding the mouse: switching to the keyboard then slows you down. If you're already typing, then you would usually prefer a hotkey (except that some gestures may be easier to memorize, like R for Reload).

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  08:27:20  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
I think there are a couple of reasons, depending on the person.

1. They're invisible. Your average person needs visual representation, they just can't think in the abstract and remember what does what. Your request for the report/sorting actions is a perfect example; other than the most common tasks, you (like myself) tend to forget what actions they have and how to fire them. While it's nice to have modifiers and the ability to create many combinations, the benefit isn't likely because people are running out, but more about different people who want to do something very specifically.

2. The massive benefit and boost to productivity doesn't seem to communicate itself to many people. They truly have to try it (and run with it for a while) to see how great it is; but since they don't spend the time or have the ability to imagine the possibilities and do an internal analysis of the many things that would be simplified, they never give gestures a try. Of course, if they did, muscle memory is surprisingly powerful and they'd be gesturing without even thinking about it; having withdrawals when using a system without gestures available!.

3. Then there's program visibility. It seems like hobbyists are the only ones making these programs, no entity with a boatload of cash has stepped forward and plastered it all over the web. Maybe there's a reason (like above), or maybe no one's ever tried. But you'd think with how much people LOVE gestures in Opera/Chrome/Firefox, they'd love to have system-wide gestures.

In the end, I think it comes down to people naturally avoid change and have difficulty realizing how much these (nearly) invisible utilities would actually save them so much time and make using their PC simpler.
Go to Top of Page

Cerberus

Netherlands
86 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  23:09:30  Show Profile  Visit Cerberus's Homepage
Oops I had it all in my mind, but I forgot to write a reply.

Ad 1: I suppose remembering which gesture does what is an issue: it is one of the reasons I haven't tried using modifiers yet. However, I use two universal actions the most: Up = Copy; Down = Paste. Even those two save me lots and lots of time, and two should be easy enough to remember. Then there are Left = Undo, and Right = Redo (both global); and Left = Back, Right = Forward (Firefox and other browsers). My estimate is that these four comprise more than 50 % of my gesture executions. And I use letter gestures to open certain programmes (my English friend convinced me that this spelling is used in England, so I switched to programme, as I use English spelling), which are also easier (like M for Mozilla).

But you are probably right that the invisibility of the gestures makes it so that people forget all but the most basic gestures, and that they forget that they have the gestures at all.

Ad 2: The withdrawal syndrome is very recognizable. As to the fact that many people don't recognize the benefits without trying it, this is no doubt true. However, the more technically minded should be inquisitive and imaginative enough to give it a try.

But I suspect many techies are keyboard snobs: they think doing everything by keyboard is not only more productive, but also cooler. Needless to say, this false: switching from one method to the other is inefficient (like from keyboard to mouse), but using a gesture when you're already using the mouse anyway is more efficient than switching to a keyboard hotkey.

Another thing: I have installed it on a friend's computer before, and she used the gestures a few times, but never got used to them (she was probably too polite to reject my installing them at first). So even that couldn't make her see the benefits.

Ad 3: This is no doubt part of the reason too. I remember installing a plug-in for mouse gesture in Internet Explorer once I had got addicted to Fire Gestures in Firefox. Only a bit later did I search for a Windows-wide programme and find Stroke It.

Another thing: people are used to using all sorts of gestures on phones. In fact they appear to be very popular. The same appears to laptop pads and the "Magical Mouse", or whatever it is called, which has a small touch pad on top. And yet my friend, who swears by this mouse, and is pretty technical, and happens to be called Rob too, refuses to even consider mouse gestures, for no coherent reason.

Oh, and if you consider the complexity of the various one, two, and three-fingered gestures people are prepared to use on laptop pads, surely a
"Left = Back" or a "S = Save" shouldn't be too hard to remember on a PC? Heck, I think people would brag about it to their friends if they could use S for Save on their Android phones!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000