General Discussion
 Makes firefox choppy
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SomeGuy12

20 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2012 :  12:33:16  Show Profile
S+ makes text in Firefox choppy and flickery when scrolling. I've use StrokeIt till now, and installed S+ just two days ago. Pretty sure its caused by S+, cause when i close it down all that disappeared.

It even affected icon text on the desktop, making parts of it disappear. Did the same thing in its own preferences window.

I'm running W7 64bit, and a high end machine.

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2012 :  12:58:18  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Try unchecking the Enable Mouse Wheel Relay preference and see if anything is different; I don't experience this issue (I have Win7 64-bit, Firefox with Enable Mouse Wheel Relay checked).
Go to Top of Page

SomeGuy12

20 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2012 :  15:42:48  Show Profile
The mouse wheel relay didn't work for me so i never turned it on. So it can't be that.

I had also tried to enable/disable all options, specially: "don't hide gesture draw window","Keep gestures on top", "manage memory". And tried setting opacity to 255. But still same.

I should also mention that, it doesn't always do that. It happens randomly sometimes and goes away by itself after a few minutes or longer. But still of course very obstructive.

P.s. S+ is a great app, i hope i won't have to switch back to strokeit because of this :(

Edited by - SomeGuy12 on 07/14/2012 15:51:34
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2012 :  16:09:00  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
That's very peculiar; I'm not sure what could be the problem and haven't heard of anything similar. It sounds like some kind of alpha blending issue. The gesture draw and acDisplayText windows cover the entire screen and are transparent, but any decent system shouldn't have an issue, especially since it's not really changing much. If I had to take a guess, I'd say it has something to do with that..although it would be difficult to confirm as you'd need to disable drawing gestures (easy), then close/hide the acDisplayText window, which would require you to use something like Spy++ to locate the window handle and close it, something like:
acCloseApplication(0x00670ACA,0,0)
...where 00670ACA (not fixed, assigned by Windows) is the handle to the window owned by StrokesPlus with the class name of "#32770 (Dialog)".

Even if that is the case, I still have no idea why you're the only one experiencing it nor how to correct it :-/
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2012 :  16:10:55  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Also, try this and see if it's any different (was before some changes to the acDisplayText window):

http://www.strokesplus.com/files/archive/StrokesPlus_2.1.0_x64_chg.zip

This version doesn't leave the window around like 2.1.2+, so you can try running with gestures on and see if anything happens.

If so, disable Draw Gestures and see if it happens.
Go to Top of Page

SomeGuy12

20 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2012 :  21:52:23  Show Profile
That version is even worse, it starts flickering text in Firefox right after windows boot before i even did any gesture. Same thing happened if i turned the drawing off.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2012 :  22:58:31  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Hmm, there has to be something specific about your system or maybe drivers. Honestly, I've no idea and haven't had anyone else report anything like this before.

Really not sure what to tell you :-/
Go to Top of Page

SomeGuy12

20 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2012 :  00:09:41  Show Profile
I should repeat that it only happens when i scroll in a Firefox window. Some areas of the window seems to have something in front of them when scrolling, causing the text there to blink.

I didn't have any issue like this with any other gesture app i've used, so i don't think there is a problem with my system. Maybe some kind of bug in S+? or is does S+ operate completely different from other mouse gesture aps?
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2012 :  00:25:03  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
I didn't really mean something wrong, but something different. If you have the keep gesture window on top don't hide gesture window unchecked, the windows are hidden and not on top of other windows.

One time in 2009, when I was starting S+, iTunes would behave weird when it thought there was a window was on top, which is why those options were put in place. I cannot reproduce this on my system, so it's difficult for me to do anything about it. The fact that it only happens in a Firefox window suggests that there's something about Firefox (or maybe an add-on?) that is the source of the oddity. S+ does nothing different regarding Firefox's window than it does any other. I understand it doesn't happen for you with other gesture apps, but without being able to troubleshoot in some way, I can't address it.

Go to Top of Page

SomeGuy12

20 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2012 :  00:34:21  Show Profile
Well i only scrolled text in Firefox after i installed it, but just now tested it on Chrome also. Since chrome doesn't have smooth scrolling like Firefox, same thing won't happen but instead it's the colors that blink in certain areas when scrolling.

Well thx for the help anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2012 :  01:04:42  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Have you tried running in admin mode vs standard? What about any of the compatibility options under the properties of strokesplus.exe? I'd like to find the cause if at all possible, or even just a hint.
Go to Top of Page

SomeGuy12

20 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2012 :  11:50:57  Show Profile
Ye same thing, and now it even occurs even if S+ is not on, but weak form of it. I dunno maybe that's a placebo effect now since i'm looking for it. I'll restore windows to an earlier point to make sure.
Go to Top of Page

SomeGuy12

20 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2012 :  00:11:12  Show Profile
Restored to a point before first install of S+, the weak form of blinking text in some areas still exists. So it was not S+ causing that. It's just that it got so much worse if S+ was on and mostly in Firefox. Guess its my system then, i sadly went back to strokeit. Thx for the help.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2012 :  07:08:56  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
That's very strange..hope you somehow figure it out as I know that would drive me crazy once I became aware of it!
Go to Top of Page

Cerberus

Netherlands
86 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  06:19:53  Show Profile  Visit Cerberus's Homepage
Hello! I have to chime in here: Someguy12, what happens when you watch this video?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amgEM-lvoHM#t=18s
Do you see any tearing, horizontal "cuts" along the screen at some point? It is most visible in full screen. I see it, and I also see the "choppy" thing in text scrolling, which I think is the same phenomenon. It also happens in videos in a regular video player, like VLC. The strange thing is that it still happens when S+ is disabled, but not when S+ is shut down. If this is the same thing, you can test it by watching that video with S+ on, disabled, and shut down.

This is an old issue that somehow reappeared a few versions ago. I believe the "Don't hide gesture draw window" option was added to prevent the tearing from happening, and it worked; but somehow it came back. I think the tearing also didn't happen when "Keep gesture draw window on top" was on: that one Rob made for XP users like me, for whom certain interface elements flickered when drawing gestures (that one still works, yay!). I was too busy/lazy to report this earlier. I should try older versions until the tearing disappears again and report back.

Again, what surprises me is that even disabling S+ won't prevent the tearing. It is a bit hard to test, because it only becomes very noticeable when a regularly-shaped object is moving fairly quickly.

Edited by - Cerberus on 07/22/2012 06:24:00
Go to Top of Page

Cerberus

Netherlands
86 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  08:21:52  Show Profile  Visit Cerberus's Homepage
I have done a couple of tests. Here are the results:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AhaVrgB7JsdndFktS2lQc1hzeUtWOVY4OFVJVTNtWmc&single=true&gid=0&output=html

This means that something changed after 1.9, and another thing after 2.0. Up to and including 2.0, there was a configuration that gave me both no flickering and no tearing ("Don't Hide"), so I have to revert to 2.0.12, which works fine anyway. Ceterum censeo that Strokes Plus rules! Even the testing with it disabled made me feel like a cripple, flailing about aimlessly.

Edited by - Cerberus on 07/22/2012 08:32:11
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  09:24:41  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
That would make sense in 2.1.2 due to the acDisplayText window always being on top. However, those changes were reverted in 2.2.2 and a different approach was used instead.

Does this still happen in the most recent release?

I'm still trying to find what's different in that regard from 1.9.4 to 2.0.12, but do let me know about the latest version.
Go to Top of Page

Cerberus

Netherlands
86 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  09:46:58  Show Profile  Visit Cerberus's Homepage
Ohh you're right! You're always one step ahead of me. As long as "Keep on top" is disabled, there is no tearing in 2.2.6! (Except while drawing a gesture, but that's fine.) So I need to have "Keep on top" disabled to counter tearing, and "Don't Hide" enabled to counter flickering. Yippee, now I am up to date again. Thank you!

Edited by - Cerberus on 07/22/2012 09:49:44
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000