Gesture execution speed
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

_yoo

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  10:53:11  Show Profile
I really wanted to switch to StrokesPlus as the GUI is a lot nicer plus I desperately need the modifier functionality StrokeIt lacks (and possibly Rocker gesture too).

However, I've noticed, upon installing S+, that executing gestures in general feels a little 'jumpy' compared to StrokeIt.

This is noticeable for example when pasting text in Notepad via [Gesture Down], there's is a lag as compared to StrokeIt.

I wonder if this is just a problem peculiar to me (win7, 8gb, i7)?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  11:10:41  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
I would say S+ is a little less responsive than SI when comparing your paste gesture; maybe 50-75ms difference I'd guess...

S+ has more overhead than SI, it's the old speed vs. flexibility conundrum.

S+ matches all the way down to the control level as well as compares against all possible modifiers. Additionally, each action has to load the script into Lua which then calls back to the S+ DLL, which then sends the Paste command. On the other hand, S+ affords you more flexibility/granular control.

Until you pointed this out, I hadn't even noticed the slight delay at all! Surely there's room for refactoring and streamlining of the code, but it's only been 3 months since I started working on this, and after spending 40-60 hours a week on it, I'm in a little bit of a relaxed mode for a while (in terms of large overhauls). Though, your posting this has already set in motion things inside my head that will churn away, wondering about ways to improve performance =)

Not sure what you mean by jumpiness, but you could try enabling the Keep Gesture Draw Window on Top option, that can improve the fluidity of entering/exiting the draw state (instead of showing/hiding the window constantly).
Go to Top of Page

_yoo

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  23:43:10  Show Profile
Thanks a lot, Rob, for the helpful reply.
I totally understand the flexibility vs. speed trade-off, and I'd say that for most gestures the difference is rather unnoticeable myself. The difference is more pronounced when I perform the same gesture several times in a row - like when I execute [Back] four times in a row in Chrome to get back to an earlier page.
I find that if I disable drawing gesture completely there's some improvement. I'll also try your tip.
Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  10:48:51  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Also, delete any ignored apps, apps, actions, and gestures you aren't actively using...gestures being pretty significant. Open up the Report window and see what gestures you aren't using; delete them from S+ via the Actions window. The more gestures there are, the more time it takes to compare all against the drawn gesture.

If you really want to power tweak, open StrokesPlus.xml and move those nodes to the top of their parent element. Meaning, for actions which you want the fastest response, like Paste, move it to the top of the <Global><Actions> element so it will match first. Once an action is matched, processing stops and the action is fired. Of course, all applications are processed first before Global, but it still cuts out a little processing. Same goes within Applications, move the Chrome node to the top of <Applications> and the tab switching action to the top of <Chrome><Actions>.

May or may not make a noticeable difference, but technically reduces the amount of time taken by S+ to find the matched action.

Note that moving the Gesture within <Gestures> won't make a difference as all gestures are compared against the drawn gesture and the most likely match is selected as the winner.

...and make a backup of your config file first!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000