General Discussion
 Wonderful Program
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CyberInferno

4 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2012 :  18:53:44  Show Profile
Rob, I wanted to say thank you for this awesome program. I used StrokeIt until getting on Win7 x64 where I never could get it to run well. Then I used Just Gestures until it randomly crashed and lost all my gesture settings (plus it always was glitchy with UAC, and its whitelist detection was always spotty). Now I've found StrokesPlus, and I can say my search for a quality, stable, fully-functioning gestures program has ended.

That being said, it would be amazing if someone could create a program to generate scripts for simple tasks. For instance, something like AutoScriptWriter for AutoHotkey. Even if it were an external program like this rather than being integrated into the UI, I think StrokesPlus could easily become a program that we could recommend to friends and family who don't understand coding (I don't know about the rest of the users, but I'm simply too lazy to program it for them ). Down the road, a simple/advanced mode could make StrokesPlus even better than it already is.

Anyway, just throwing my 2c out there. Really phenomenal work. And it's also really cool to see you active in the forums. Nice to see a quality developer who enjoys interacting with and listening to the end users.

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2012 :  19:11:34  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Why thank you!

I definitely think an action wizard would be something very beneficial and valuable...as well as time-consuming to create =)

Not to say I would never consider it, but would definitely be something of low priority. To be honest, I've been secretly hoping people would start building things like that on their own and sharing with others..there's a reason I made the entire configuration in XML!

I'm glad you're enjoying S+ and I always welcome all feedback. Sometimes I never implement a suggestion, sometimes I say "no" only to add it later, and sometimes I add them right away. The process of creating actions is absolutely a barrier to average user adoption and is something I'll tinker with, mentally and programmatically. At some point, I'm going to overhaul the whole interface, unifying all windows into one, integrate something like (or exactly) Scintilla for Lua syntax highlighting, etc. Whenever that time comes, I'll definitely take a serious look at what could be done for providing a less advanced method for creating actions.

I'm also thinking that I should put together some sort of web page that really presents the actions and sample scripts in a way much more useful than a forum where you really have to pick through a lot of stuff to find something..and you'd kinda have to already know what you're looking for. Again, something that's in the back of my mind, but definitely there.
Go to Top of Page

CyberInferno

4 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2012 :  12:44:38  Show Profile
I completely agree with you focusing your attention on the product itself rather than the ease-of-use factors. The XML integration was definitely smart on your part rather using non-standard .ini files or something of that nature. Again, I wish I had the coding wherewithal to write something myself (even something in VB that just automated basic tasks). I think the general UI for the program is very nice, but I agree that a tabbed, all-in-one GUI configuration would really make S+ pop!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000